The dirty hippy in me rejoices in making my own toothpaste. I’m not going to lie it took a while to get used to the taste, but once you realise how good it is, how cheap it is and how long it lasts you never go back. Plus when are we going to find a convenient store in the middle of nowhere to grab a tube of Colgate?
If you have never made toothpaste before, yes you will need to go out and buy some base ingredients. As we buy in bulk we usually get enough for 6-8 months with each purchase. If you can find a zero waste bulk store and use containers you already have, even better!
2 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 tbsp bentonite clay
3 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp peppermint or any other organic essential oil
1 tbsp activated Charcoal
1 tsp water
1. Mix dry ingredients together
2. Mix wet ingredients together
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk with a fork
4. Store in a sealable glass jar
* Important: do not store in metal container, it deactivates the bentonite clay